Today I tried upgrading the odbc drivers on my server from 3.5 to 5.1. I immediately ran in to troubles and got a “Memory allocation error” when executing a non query to mySql. After reverting back to driver version 3.5 i found that the error was caused simply by a “data too long for field” error which i quickly fixed in no time at all.
I am not sure if the memory allocation error i received with the new drivers was related to this but if anyone could explain this I would love to know whats going off. If anyone gets a memory allocation error in 5.1 it might be worth checking to ensure the data your inserting fits into the row.